Friday, April 13, 2012

In the Spirit of things

     It's always interesting to see the various reactions that people will have when you mention playing with a Ouija board.  Some will consider it harmless fun, while others will nearly pee themselves at the very idea, and still others yet, may try to pee on YOU, but are still intrigued with the idea that they may possibly be able to contact spirits of the dead.  Myself, I've only played with it a few times (we're still talking about the Ouija board here), and my first experience was when I was 12.

     It was on a Saturday night, and I was going to spend the night at my best friend Ronnie's house, as was another of our friends, Gilbert.  We got called in from the park that was across the street, where we had been hanging out.  I really didn't want to go, because in the park there were two chicks making out, and it was the first time I had ever seen chicks making out in person.  Of course it could've been the 100th time I had seen that, and I probably still wouldn't have wanted to leave.  But we all went inside my friend's house, where his parents were, as well as some of his relatives who were visiting.  Soon, Ronnie's mom suggested that we play with a Ouija board.  I had seen one in the movie "The Exorcist", but I had never seen one in real life, let alone played with one.  I said to my friend, "Whoa!  Is your mom serious?!"  To which he nervously responded, "Yeah..."

     So Ronnie's mom brought out the Ouija board and explained how it was used, saying that a spirit would answer any questions we might ask.  I was both curious and a little unnerved at the same time.  Would it really work?  Would we really be in contact with the dead, or an evil spirit?  Would everyone find out that "I" was the one who overflowed the toilet?

     A few different people tried playing the game, and after various questions and "answers", she then asked if the "Spirit" could give us a sign to prove it was real.  The spirit answered that it would and that we'd see the sign within the next 30 minutes.  I was a little nervous but still not completely convinced of anything.  Ronnie's mom then began to tell us stories of the supernatural, that she said she or her friends had experienced.  Then, after about 25 minutes, the lights began to flicker off and on in the kitchen!  Now I was starting to get a little freaked!  But that was just the beginning.  Ronnie's mom then convinced someone else to play the game with her, and she began asking questions like:  "Are the boys going to see anything in the room (the bedroom where we'd be sleeping) tonight?"  I looked at Ronnie and asked, "What's your mom doing asking a question like that?"  With a sad look on his face, he just shrugged his shoulders.  Then she asked "Is something bad going to happen to the boys tonight?"  "Man!  What's your mom's freaking problem?!"  "Ouija, will it happen before 5 a.m?" "What's with your mom?!  I swear, I've never hit a woman before, but..."  My friends and I were all really starting to freak now!

     After a while, since it was late, and the adults intended to keep partying, we were told to go to sleep.  We kept stalling and making excuses not to go to sleep.  Then we began to ask if we could sleep in the living room, reasoning that since "Ouija" said that we would see something in the bedroom, maybe we could somehow cheat our fate.  Our request was flatly refused, and told that we had to sleep in the bedroom.  Like "Dead Men Walking", we began to file into the room, dragging our feet.  As we were preparing for sleep, Ronnie's mom then entered the room and began to move the iron, as well as all heavy and metal objects, saying "In case stuff starts flying around..."  Now we really came close to crapping our pants!

     The lights went out, and we made a pact, promising that if something happened while some of us were still asleep, we'd leave no man behind.  And of course, our imaginations soon got the best of us, and when combined with our fear, caused us to imagine that we saw all kinds of stuff in the darkness outside, like severed heads in the tree branches, mysterious shadows, and so forth.  There were four of us, including Ronnie, his brother Jerry, our friend Gilbert, and myself. We continued talking about our fears, and then Ronnie said, "Don't worry guys, my Dad's in the living room." To which Gilbert wisely pointed out, "What's your Dad going to do?!  Beat up the Devil?!"

     While that might've made an interesting pay-per-view fight, it didn't happen.  We all eventually fell asleep, although we thought that it might be for the last time.  I have always been an early riser, and when I was the first to awake, I immediately looked at the clock.  5:05!  It was 5:05!  5 minutes passed the designated time for our doom!  We were safe!  I was so grateful to be unharmed that I wanted to kiss somebody!  Of course, being in a room full of guys, that would've been really awkward.  And all I could hope was the clock was not running fast...

   You think I would've learned from that first experience, but that wasn't the case.  2 years later, Jerry, Ronnie, and I, were playing with the Ouija board again, and this time in the bedroom.  To set the mood, we lit a candle, then turned off the lights...and then we began to explore each other's young bodies...Haha, just kidding!  Seriously, I was only kidding.

   Anyway, the lights went out and we began to ask Ouija some questions.  Nothing dramatic happened with that, and after we had finished playing the game, it was late, and we were sitting around tired, seemingly out of conversation.  I then looked up and saw Jerry's face, which was pale as a ghost, and his eyes were wide open in stark terror!  He was sitting directly across from me, and as I had my back to the window, he was the only one who had been facing the window.  As Ronnie and I turned in the direction of the window, to see what Jerry was looking at, we saw the dark shadow of a face in the window!  We shouted out as we jumped to our feet!  We opened the bedroom door, yelling, and running into the hallway and towards the front door.  I was fumbling with the door knob, and Ronnie ran up, with a butter knife in his hand and asked, "What's your problem?!  Why can't you open the door?!"  "Open the door?!  I'm trying to freakin' lock it!  And what are you doing with the butter knife?!  Are you going to make him a sandwich?!"  We finally managed to open the door, and after looking around outside in bewilderment for several seconds, and seeing no one or nothing around, noticed... that someone had toilet papered the house!  And I doubt that they were spirits of the dead.

No comments:

Post a Comment